Volunteer Day: Light the 21 Taras Garden of Abundance
1584 Burwood Highway, Belgrave
10-4pmWe are so grateful to everyone who donated to holy objects and to light them such as the Unified Sangha Stupa and the 21 Tara in the garden. This will hopefully ensure those driving by at night get the benefits of seeing the stupa for seeds of enlightenment in their mind.We are fortunate to have completed the landscaping and installing power outlets throughout the garden. We need to now install the garden lighting. You do not need to be a skilled electrician to help. Most of our time will be spent trenching very shallow areas around the garden to install the 12v lighting cords in the ground. The lighting cords click together for easy installation.We are so grateful to the huge effort our local and global community have put into the transformation of this space to make a special jewel to share with all beings.
Why is it so important to offer lights to the enlightened Beings? The benefits are numerous. When we offer light it represents the light of wisdom illuminating the darkness of ignorance. Light offerings do not need to be limited to butterlamps and candles. You can offer all the lights you turn on in your home to the Buddhas as well. Offering light is an especially quick way to collect merit and to receive blessings.
In the Heruka Root Tantra, it is mentioned that if you desire attainment then offer a hundred lights.
Sutra of the Arya Loving Kindness says if you offer 1,000 light offerings, or offer flowers 1,000 times; if you offer 1,000 blue upali flowers to stupas or make statues of Buddha, when Maitreya Buddha shows the holy deeds of enlightenment in this world, you will be born in front of Maitreya Buddha at that time.
Making light offerings bring you ten benefits:
1. You become like a light in the world
2. You achieve (when born human) the clairvoyance of the pure flesh eye.
3. You achieve the devas’ eye.
4. You receive the wisdom of knowing what is virtue and what is non-virtue.
5. You are able to eliminate darkness of ignorance, the concept of inherent existence.
6. You receive the illumination of wisdom; even in samsara you never experience darkness.
7. You receive much wealth and enjoyment.
8. You are reborn in the deva or human realm.
9. You quickly become liberated.
10. You quickly attain enlightenment.